Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Book of Mormon Reading - The Olive Tree

Well, I may not have completed President Nelson's challenge but I have resumed my Book of Mormon reading, and I just made it past the story of the Olive Tree in the Book of Jacob.



I remember that was hard reading as a kid, especially with all the times they say "and it came to pass" and "the lord of the vineyard said unto his servant" and "it grieveth me that I should lose this tree." Sometimes I imagine if we took out all of the and-it-came-to-passes, we'd cut the entire Book of Mormon in half! 

On the other hand, Dad mentioned once that repetition was the ancient Hebrews' style of poetry. They also say that when something is repeated in the scriptures, that's your cue to pay attention. And once you get past all the repetition and really understand the message, it's surprisingly profound.

It was the seminary clip of the Olive Tree that really helped me get the picture, where a group of high school kids tend to a real olive tree and begin to see for themselves the similarities between the tree and the House of Israel.

I watched part of that clip again tonight, from the LDS Media Library, and I have to admit, I got a slight shiver when I saw them walk up to the tree in their missionary attire (the boys in white shirts and ties, the girls in dresses and skirts) and gather all that good, ripe fruit into their baskets. It definitely alludes to what condition the Olive Tree will be in during our day, and how much fruit we can harvest if we do our part.

Sometimes I wonder if I make any contribution to the Church. I don't expect a fancy calling but I question my significance now and then. I don't hesitate to share my beliefs on social media (and I try to be polite), but some people still pick a quarrel with me over them, including a few of my good friends. One friend even cut me off because she couldn't handle my religion and all the "propaganda" (as she called it) that I was spreading, and we haven't spoken to each other since. Another friend treats me and my beliefs like a big joke; while I'm sure she's not being malicious about it on purpose, it still stings.

And there are times when I just feel like nothing's happening at all, where I'm concerned.

So reading the story of the Olive Tree helps me realign my perspective. Tending a tree takes time and work. You don't see the results of your efforts overnight, or anytime soon. You often feel like you're just wasting your time and energy. Sometimes you just want to quit altogether. But you keep at it, each and every day, and when the time is right, your work will produce fruit and it will be good.

It will all be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BMM 17 - Matchmaker

Tzeitel, you're the oldest! Yente has to arrange a match for you before she can make one for me! Oh Yente, Yente! Well, somebody has to...