Friday, May 6, 2022

Musical May 2022 - Day 6 - Short People

Possibly Randy Newman's most controversial song. It's not supposed to be taken seriously but a lot of people take it the wrong way anyway. In any case, I like it. It's catchy enough, and Randy Newman has always had an incredible sense of rhythm. 

I still find it absurd that people sang his praises so much for his songs for the Pixar movies, but blasted him for composing the songs for The Princess and the Frog. Pretty hypocritical if you ask me, not to mention a case of pure sour grapes just because Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz weren't doing the honors this time. Again, I personally enjoy the soundtrack; my most favorite from that one has to be "Down in New Orleans."

Pixar-wise, it's a tie between "If I Didn't Have You" from Monsters, Inc. and "The Time of Your Life" from A Bug's Life

(Images property of their respective owners.)

You may have noticed that many of my heroes are on the short side. Reid is a bit of a small fry himself (one of the many reasons he was bullied so much) but he's all heart and he's also made of solid iron; he can literally hit you where it hurts. Opal, Lara, and Kaylee are short, too, and my elf Aldridge, and Beowulf is possibly the smallest of all the werewolves.


In Beowulf's case, his small size serves him well and he becomes that much more intimidating; it's all the easier for him to hide (and take you by surprise) and all the harder for you to hide from him. The fact that he's so intelligent makes him all the more formidable. 

Only his humanity (or what's left of it) keeps him in check, so you're all right as long as you don't give him a reason to come after you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BMM 16 - When I Grow Up

When I grow up, I will be tall enough to reach the branches That I need to reach to climb the trees You get to climb when you're grown u...