Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Musical May 2022 - Day 11 - Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road

One of my favorite Elton John songs, and I come from a family of HUGE Wizard of Oz nuts. 


We watched that movie every year (and kept recording it) for as long as I can remember, until finally I saved us the trouble by buying the DVD for keeps. 

I used to have a little crush on the Tin Man, and yes, the Wicked Witch of the West freaked me out as much as she did any other kid.

Margaret Hamilton, with all due respect, did her job a tad too well. 

No wonder she refused to reprise the role when she got the chance, and I also recall that heartwarming episode with her on Mister Rogers' Neighborhood when they sought to teach young viewers that actors and actresses are often very nice people. Such was certainly the case with her; she not only adored children but she used to be a schoolteacher, and she had a handful of children and grandchildren of her own.

So, when she got the opportunity to play the Wicked Witch a second time, she said straightaway, "No way! As much fun as I had playing her, I've frightened children enough already."

(Images property of their respective owners.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

BMM 17 - Matchmaker

Tzeitel, you're the oldest! Yente has to arrange a match for you before she can make one for me! Oh Yente, Yente! Well, somebody has to...