Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Undervalued Classics: Brother Bear

Since I did this with Hunchback of Notre Dame, I thought I'd try it again with another movie that I believe deserves a boatload more love, if not a shipload.

Today, that movie is Disney's 44th animated feature, Brother Bear


I didn't get a chance to see it in theaters, but the commercials for the 2003 video release (and hearing about it from friends and listening to the soundtrack) intrigued me enough to ask for the VHS for Christmas. Yes, I'm that old-fashioned. Besides, I like Phil Collins and I love hand-drawn animation.

I ended up playing my tape quite frequently, to the point where I could sing just about all of the songs and quote most of the dialogue on cue. I even tried to write my own version of the story, but replacing the bears with tigers. (Throw in a lion and you've got that immortal Wizard of Oz quote totally nailed!)

Anyway, I'm surprised at how little fanfare this movie gets these days. I don't expect it to steal Frozen's thunder but you would think people would talk about it a little more often. At least, I think so.

For one thing, the animation is exquisite. I see few movies, even the computer-generated ones, topping that kind of quality. The opening sequence alone, with all those widespread landscapes and luscious colors, still turns me alien-green with envy. You can just tell these guys did their research, and poured their hearts and souls into this project by the truckload.











(Wonder if these could be Bambi's ancestors!)

But probably the most dazzling sequence of all is when Kenai is first transformed into a bear. I was absolutely blown away the first time I watched it, and I've heard some people admit that they don't like the movie but they're very impressed with this scene. I can't find a single thing to criticize about it, and the "Transformation" song by the Bulgarian Women's Choir never fails to give me goosebumps. Heck, I'm getting goosebumps right now, just from looking at these screencaps!


























































For another thing, this movie has a remarkable cast of characters. These characters have sure won me over.

I could spend all day talking about each character, one by one, but I'll make it easy on you (and myself) and just mention the characters who had the greatest effect on me.

A lot of people say they find Rutt and Tuke super-annoying. I don't mind them; they're not half as annoying as Timon and Pumbaa, and they provide some much-needed comic relief. But most of all, my dad personally liked them. I remember him laughing quite hard at their scenes, especially their first scene, so that memory has further endeared them to me.

Plus, I can't help but admire the care and attention devoted to their animation. I'm always in awe of an animator who can make a four-legged creature cartoony and zany while retaining anatomical accuracy.





















("Look at these cuspids! R-r-r-r!" This probably made Dad laugh the hardest.)




And, of course, there's Kenai and his relationship with little Koda; this is what the movie is all about. This is the story's crown jewel.

All I can tell you is that it's truly moving to see how these two go from this...


...to this!


There is another scene that most people highly approve of, even the non-fans. Big spoiler: Kenai confesses to Koda that his mother is gone...and that he, Kenai, was responsible. It's considered one of the saddest Disney moments of all time, and given Disney's history of major tearjerkers, that's saying a lot.

Just look at their faces: 







































There's a deleted version of this scene that makes it even sadder, if you can believe that. Most people say this deleted version is vastly superior to the one with the Phil Collins song, though I'll admit I rather like the song. The lyrics alone pluck at my heartstrings:

"Everywhere I turn, I hurt someone
But there's nothing I can say
To change the things I've done
I'd do anything within my power
I'd give everything I've got
But the path I seek
Is hidden from me now. 

"Brother bear, I let you down.
You trusted me
Believed in me
And I let you down
Of all the things I hid from you,
I cannot hide the shame
And I pray someone
Something will come
To take away the pain."

But I must also admit, the deleted scene does pack a stronger punch. I have a hard time making up my mind which version would have suited the movie better: Brother Bear - Behind the confession scene...

So yeah, long review short, Brother Bear is a beautiful, wonderful movie that deserves so much better than what it's gotten. At the very least, it's starting to regain more recognition and appreciation now, along with its siblings from the Disney Post-Renaissance.

What's more, I like the sequel, Brother Bear 2.


Sure, its predecessor is vastly superior, as is to be expected. However, it is, by far, the second best of the Disney sequels; it would be number one on my list if Bambi II hadn't come along. The animation is great (you can tell they spent more time and money on it), the songs are decent (I prefer Phil Collins to Melissa Etheridge, but Etheridge's songs are all right nonetheless), and I even admire Nita, voiced by Mandy Moore, who would go on to voice Rapunzel in Tangled.

I'll definitely need to watch both movies again, from start to finish, maybe even back-to-back.

So...guess that's all I have to say for this review. Thanks for taking the time to read my blog all the way through, if you have.

Bye for now!

(Screencaps courtesy of Disney Screencaps.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

BMM 6 - If I Were a Rich Man

Oh, dear Lord, you made many, many poor people I realize, of course, it's no shame to be poor But it's no great honor, either So, wh...