Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Happy Birthday, Grandma

A very happy birthday to my Grandma Dahl. It's hard to believe it's been four years since she and Grandpa passed away (within just three weeks of each other) but it's a great comfort to know they're together now, that they didn't have to be separated for long, and that they're reunited with Dad, even though they're Mom's parents. Dad always got along with them famously, especially with Grandpa, considering he lost his own dad when he was just 16.

Some of the things that remind me of Grandma the most:

Horses. 


(All images property of their respective owners.)

She grew up on a farm, so she always had a soft spot for horses. I remember seeing her on a horse at the Utah State Fair; she used to be the boss there.

The Utah State Fair.


Like I said, she was the big boss for several years, and she always gave us free tickets whenever she could. She even provided free tickets to music concerts; I remember seeing *NSYNC, Britney Spears, No Authority, O-Town, and Destiny's Child there. Of course, we had to stop by Grandma's office every time.

Politics. 

Oh, boy, Grandma was BIG on politics. I remember going to some kind of convention with Dad (I think it was about the mayor of Layton, or something) and Grandma was there. What I remember best is that she had a bit of a cold that day, and I asked Dad when we were alone, "Shouldn't she be home right now?"

Dad's answer ran along the lines of, "No way. Grandma wouldn't miss this for anything. Not even a broken leg would keep her home. She'd rather die than miss out on a political convention."

And I could only think, "Wow. That's dedicated."

I also remember Grandma kept a few political books lying around her house, and it seems almost fitting that she died on July 4. She was respectful about where other people stood, of course, but again, she had an incredible passion about that stuff. She didn't care so much about who the rest of us voted for as she cared about the simple fact that we had voted.

I also think of Grandma when I see red Jello. 

She made amazing red Jello with fruit salad underneath and tiny marshmallows on top. I hardly recall a single dinner in which red Jello with fruit and marshmallows wasn't somewhere on the table.

Turkey gravy. 

I'm not really fond of gravy, but oh, man, Grandma made the BEST turkey gravy at Thanksgiving. That was something I definitely put on my mashed potatoes!

Soft dinner rolls. 

Grandma and Grandpa always knew how much I loved rolls, so they made sure there were plenty of rolls to go around, too.

Cake, ice cream, and cookies.

Grandma used to make strawberry ice cream the old-fashioned way, she made a fabulous chocolate mint cake for birthdays, and Grandpa was just as famous for his gingersnaps. I also think of them when I have plain Oreos or graham crackers, because we often ate those when we visited in the last couple of years of their lives.

And finally, Grandma springs to mind when I listen to Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line."

There was a family slideshow put together years ago, with this song included, and I don't know; it's just that particular song that stuck with me the most, and I've sort of made it Grandma's official song. Likewise, I think of Dad the most when listening to "Yesterday Once More" by the Carpenters, and "Love is All Around" by the Troggs is definitely Mom's song.

Happy birthday, Grandma. We love you and miss you so much. Hope you're having a happy time up there with Grandpa, Dad, and all the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BMM 21 - You'll Never Walk Alone

When you walk through a storm, Hold your head up high And don't be afraid of the dark At the end of the storm, There's a golden sky...