Sunday, December 17, 2023

The 12 Days of Christmas of 2023 - Day 5

On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: five golden rings!
Four calling birds,
Three French hens,
Two turtle doves,
And a partridge in a pear tree!
 
 
In the song, the five rings represent the first five books in the Old Testament: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.
 
This is also known as the Pentateuch, which basically summarizes the creation of man, man's fall from grace, and the wonderful mercy God extends toward man. It all goes to show how valuable something must be for someone to go to so much time and effort to not only preserve it, but make it even better.
 



 
My fantasy version: 
 
On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: five magic rings!
Four mountain trolls,
Three phoenixes,
Two forest fauns,
And a unicorn as white as the snow!
 
A ring is also a well-known symbol of authority, honor, devotion, and eternity. That's why powerful rulers often sport prominent rings on their fingers, as well as why we wear rings when we get married. In J.R.R. Tolkien's case, this makes the title The Lord of the Rings particularly significant.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Birthday - Recap

Hard to believe I'm already 36.  I know age is just a number, and the only real difference I feel right now is my hairstyle. I've be...