Friday, October 4, 2024

My First Layton Temple Trip

Today marked the day I got to go inside the Layton Temple for the very first time...since its dedication, that is. 


Mom wanted to go with me and Christine for our first time, and because I've had so much free time from work (hours have been unfortunately cut) and the temple will soon be closed for a few weeks for cleaning, today was as good a day as any. 

It got me out of the house, I could escape from the world for a couple of hours, I wouldn't have to worry about rushing anywhere else, and I could do a bit of service for someone on the other side of the veil. My patriarchal blessing did mention the importance of returning to the temple often, and now there's one practically next door to me.

It was a marvelous experience. Quiet and simple, nothing fancy, but wonderful. We got there in good time, everything went smoothly, we learned the story of Father Adam and Mother Eve (the full story) all over again, and I've no doubt my dad and other family members were right there with us. It was almost a disappointment to leave, so this just means we'll have to make arrangements for another trip as soon as possible, and then another. Of course, you can't go to the House of the Lord at just any old time, but you should be worthy enough (and willing enough) to be able to go on a whim. 

For those who might worry about not being worthy, let me assure you I've had the same problem for years and I learned there's a fine difference between worthiness and flawlessness. You don't have to be perfect, and for the record, I ask Heavenly Father to help me be "worthy enough" to set foot through those doors on that particular day.

I don't remember where I heard it exactly, but I remember one of the Twelve Apostles (I'm 99% sure it was Elder David A. Bednar) saying something about how we can know if we truly qualify for the Celestial Kingdom. He said if we qualify for the temple, then that means we qualify for the Celestial Kingdom, too. I personally like to think of the temple as a sort of "taste test" of heaven. I don't see how it would be much different, if at all.

I can tell this trip meant a lot to my mom and sister, too. We got sodas from McDonald's afterward, and maybe it was just me, but somehow that soda tasted a little extra good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mel's Inktober 17 - Cute Black Cats

Wanted something a bit happier and a lot simpler this time. I've always been a pretty big cat person; I'd have dogs and cats if I ...