Sunday, May 28, 2023

Disney Musical May 28 - Build a Snowman

Elsa?
(Knocks)

Do you wanna build a snowman?
Come on, let's go and play!
I never see you anymore
Come out the door
It's like you've gone away!

 We used to be best buddies
And now we're not
I wish you would tell me why!
Do you wanna build a snowman?
It doesn't have to be a snowman!
(Go away, Anna!)
Okay, bye...
 

(Knocks)
Do you wanna build a snowman?
Or ride our bike around the halls?
I think some company is overdue

I've started talking to
The pictures on the walls!
(Hang in there, Joan!)
 

It gets a little lonely
All these empty rooms
Just watching the hours tick by...

(tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock)

 (Knocks)
Elsa?

Please, I know you're in there
People are asking where you've been
They say, "Have courage," and I'm trying to
I'm right out here for you
Just let me in

We only have each other
It's just you and me
What are we gonna do?
Do you want to build a snowman?

I wanted to do at least one song from Frozen and I know everybody's sick to death of "Let It Go." At least it doesn't make my ears bleed the way "Hakuna Matata" does now.


But I do have a soft spot for this particular song.

All excessive hype aside, I feel this movie is good if not fantastic. I like stories about familial love, and this is a nice story about sisterly love. I feel so bad for poor Anna; while I can't judge Elsa or their parents too harshly, Anna got the shortest end of the stick by far.

You will find bits and pieces of this story scattered throughout Reid's story. It's especially applicable to Romulus when he loses his parents and his sister.

It also applies well to Jonathan, because he and Caleb got along a lot better when they were younger. As Caleb grew up, he ran into a few bad influences inside and outside school, although he managed to avoid becoming a criminal like Malachi. Regardless, he became colder and more argumentative, and the door was shut especially hard in poor Jonathan's face.


But the biggest fault lies with Aunt Tamara.

Caleb liked Tamara, he could see how lonely she was, he started talking to her and hanging around her more often, and in spite of herself, she developed a soft spot for him, too. Unfortunately, her bad attitude rubbed off on him, and she never really got along with the rest of the family.

So, with her help, the gap between Caleb and the other Windwillows, Jonathan most of all, widened more and more until they were virtual strangers.

In spite of that, Caleb had the nerve to get jealous when Jonathan began to spend more time with Prince Reid and treat him like a brother.

Jonathan saw how rough Reid had it, he empathized perfectly with the boy about bad brothers (even though Tyrell was much worse than Caleb and Tamara put together) and being seen as an oddball, and he was also greatly inspired by the relationship between Reid and Beowulf.

Beowulf was every bit as much taken aback at Reid's kindness to him, yet he couldn't bring himself to knock it. Like an old guard dog who's almost forgotten just how good a scratch behind the ears feels. 


I also based Kaylee Drummond partly on Anna, and her sister Faith on Elsa. Obviously, Faith has no supernatural powers, but she has a long, thick braid, she's a very prim and proper woman, and while she's nice, she's not the most fun person to be around. She needs to loosen up just a little more. She needs to be thawed, if you will.

In contrast, Kaylee is a very warm, sweet, bubbly girl. She's shy, but her backbone is growing up with her, and all she really wants is to be loved for who she is, not for who other people want her to be. That's why she falls in love with Troy, because he's always liked her just as she is and he brought out the best in her. I can't think of a better motivation for romance than that.

So, yeah, Frozen has inspired me in a host of places and I like it just fine for myself...although I think the sequel is entirely unnecessary and I'm not at all surprised (or pleased) to hear about a Frozen 3 in the works.

If it's not hackneyed remakes we gotta worry about, it's one sequel after another. We live in an era of "Follow the Leader."

If Disney ever makes anything fresh and unique that's actually good and doesn't shove a politically correct message in my face, I'll eat my socks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BMM 20 - Tomorrow

The sun'll come out Tomorrow Bet your bottom dollar That tomorrow there'll be sun Just thinkin' about Tomorrow Clears away the ...