Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Disney Musical May 9 - Why Should I Worry

One minute, I'm in Central Park
Then I'm down on Delancey Street
From the Bow'ry to St. Mark's
There's a syncopated beat

 Right, I said, whoo, whoo, whoo, whoo, whoo
I'm streetwise
I can improvise
I said, whoo, whoo, whoo, whoo, whoo
I'm street-smart
I got New York City heart

Why should I worry?
Why should I care?

I may not have a dime

But I got street savoir faire
Why should I worry?

Why should I care?
It's just be-bopulation
I got street savoir faire

The rhythm of the city
But once you get it down
,
Then you can own this town

You can wear the crown

Why should I worry?
Tell me
, why should I care?
I said I may not have a dime
Oh, b
ut I got street savoir faire
Why should I worry?

Why should I care?
It's just doo-bopulation
And I got street savoir faire

Everything goes
Everything fits

They love me at the Chelsea

They adore me at the Ritz

Why should I worry?
Why should I care?

And even when I cross that line
I got street savoir faire

I said, whoo, whoo, whoo, whoo, whoo
I said, whoo, whoo, whoo, whoo, whoo

Whoo, whoo, whoo, whoo, whoo
...

Whoo, whoo, whoo, whoo, whoo...
 

Every movie's got a signature scene/song, the very first thing to spring to mind when somebody mentions the title in passing.

In the case of Oliver and Company, it's this super-catchy song that everybody thinks of, the one you'll be hearing in your head (if not singing out loud) long after the movie is finished.

I didn't own this movie as a kid, so the times I watched it were few and far between. But oh boy, I never forgot it or "Why Should I Worry," and I mean that in a good way. It also helped that I (briefly) owned a read-along book and cassette tape.

So, even if I can't quote too much from the movie itself, I can very easily drum out this beat on cue.

This was also my official introduction to Billy Joel and Bette Midler, both of whom I like to this day, so that's another good thing.

Speaking of which, it's to my understanding that today is Mr. Joel's birthday. So, Mr. Joel, wherever you are, whatever you're up to these days, a very happy birthday to you!

 
(All images property of their respective owners.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

BMM 20 - Tomorrow

The sun'll come out Tomorrow Bet your bottom dollar That tomorrow there'll be sun Just thinkin' about Tomorrow Clears away the ...