Friday, May 5, 2023

Disney Musical May 5 - Out There

 FROLLO:
The world is cruel

The world is wicked

It's I alone whom you can trust in this whole city

I am your only friend

I who keep you, teach you, feed you, dress you
I who look upon you without fear

How can I protect you, boy,
Unless you
always stay in here
Away in here

Remember what I've taught you, Quasimodo,
You are deformed

 QUASIMODO:
I am deformed
 

FROLLO:
And you are ugly
 

QUASIMODO:
And I am ugly

 FROLLO:
And these are crimes
For which the world shows little pity
You do not comprehend
 

QUASIMODO:
You are my one defender
 

FROLLO:
Out there, they'll revile you
as a monster
 

QUASIMODO:
I am a monster

 FROLLO:
Out there, they will hate and scorn and jeer 

QUASIMODO:
Only a monster
 

FROLLO:
Why invite their calumny
And consternation
?
Stay in here
Be faithful to me
 

QUASIMODO:
I'm faithful
 

FROLLO:
Be grateful to me
 

QUASIMODO:
I'm grateful 

FROLLO:
Do as I say

Obey
 

BOTH:
And stay
In here
 

QUASIMODO:
Safe behind these windows and these parapets of stone,
Gazing at the people down below me,
All my life, I watch them as I hide up here alone,

Hungry for the histories they show me

All my life, I memorize their faces,
Knowing them as they will never know me
All my life, I wonder how it feels to pass a day

Not above them

But part of them

And out there
Living in the sun
Give me one day out there
All I ask is one
To hold forever

Out there
Where they all live unaware
What I'd give
What I'd dare
Just to live one day out there

Out there among the millers
And the weavers and their wives
Through the roofs and gables I can see them
Every day, they shout and scold
And go about their lives

Heedless of the gift it is to be them
If I was in their skin
I'd treasure every instant

Out there
Strolling by the Seine
Taste a morning out there
Like ordinary men
Who freely walk about there

Just one day and then
I swear I'll be content
With my share

Won't resent

Won't despair
Old and bent
I won't care
I'll have spent
One day
Out there
 

By far my favorite Disney song sung by a male protagonist. Tom Hulce's voice blows me away every time.

I also like how the whole song has a sort of "ringing bell rhythm," which makes it all the more fitting for this song to take place in the bell tower.

And the visual angles are awesome. I always love it when the audience "flies with the camera." They studied that cathedral all over and it shows. That was way back in the early 90s, too, since the movie was officially released in 1996.




(Screencaps courtesy of Animation Screencaps.)

They say the movie is quite helpful in helping to reconstruct the Notre Dame cathedral. Speaking of which, they're just about done with the repairs. That terrible fire in 2019 was nothing more than an unfortunate accident, but thank heaven they were able to contain the flames before there was too much damage. They were really scared the fire might reach the bell tower and then it would have been even more disastrous.

Everyone around the world agrees: whether on a spiritual, artistic, or historical level, Notre Dame is a priceless treasure. I've yet to read Victor Hugo's book (I already know it's a lot grimmer) but I'm glad Disney was able to pay some homage to this magnificent building.

(All images property of their respective owners.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

BMM 21 - You'll Never Walk Alone

When you walk through a storm, Hold your head up high And don't be afraid of the dark At the end of the storm, There's a golden sky...