Friday, May 12, 2023

Disney Musical May 12 - A Whole New World

I can show you the world
Shining, shimmering, splendid
Tell me, princess, now when did
You last let your heart decide?

I can open your eyes
Take you wonder by wonder
Over, sideways, and under
On a magic carpet ride

A whole new world
A new fantastic point of view
No one to tell us no

Or where to go

Or say we're only dreaming

A whole new world
A dazzling place I never knew

But when I'm way up here
It's crystal clear

That now I'm in a whole new world with you
(Now I'm in a whole new world with you)

Unbelievable sights
Indescribable feeling
Soaring, tumbling, freewheeling
Through an endless diamond sky

A whole new world
(Don't you dare close your eyes)
A hundred thousand things to see
(Hold your breath, it gets better)
I'm like a shooting star
I've come so far
I can't go back to where I used to be

A whole new world
(Every turn a surprise)
With new horizons to pursue
(Every moment, red-letter)
I'll chase them anywhere
There's time to spare
Let me share this whole new world with you

A whole new world
(A whole new world)

That's where we'll be
(That's where we'll be)
A thrilling chase
(A wondrous place)
For you and me

I gotta admit, that's pretty romantic and sweet. Definitely a love story executed the proper way. 

Aladdin was never my most favorite movie, not that I ever disliked it by any means. I dunno, I just wasn't one to really follow the crowd or get swept up in the hype. You could say I learned to like this thing at my own pace.

(All images property of their respective owners.)

I think The Return of Jafar, Aladdin and the King of Thieves, and the TV series are all pretty good in their own way, too. I watched them all plenty of times growing up. If nothing else, it's a fun, feel-good, exciting, rather hilarious story. It'd be impossible to watch any of these shows all the way through without smirking or going "awww" once or twice.

And the characters are genuinely likable and relatable. I do feel Aladdin is one of the better Disney protagonists, Jasmine is a decent female role model, and you can never go wrong with the likes of Genie or Iago.

The music is plenty catchy, too, that's a given. I'm rather compelled to sing along to "Arabian Nights," "Prince Ali," and naturally, "A Whole New World." I'll even join in with "I'm Looking Out For Me," "Forget About Love," and "Are You In Or Out."

One of my most favorite quotes that I put to plenty good use is Iago's, "Ah, that does it! All reports are in! Life is now officially unfair!"

So, yeah, I may not find this whole franchise spectacular, but I most certainly don't find it abysmal. I like it about as much as I like the Harry Potter franchise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BMM 20 - Tomorrow

The sun'll come out Tomorrow Bet your bottom dollar That tomorrow there'll be sun Just thinkin' about Tomorrow Clears away the ...