Thursday, May 4, 2023

Disney Musical May 4 - Go the Distance

I have often dreamed
Of a far-off place

Where a great, warm welcome

Will be waiting for me

Where the crowds will cheer

When they see my face

And a voice keeps saying
This is where I'm meant to be

I will find my way
I can go the distance
I'll be there someday
If I can be strong
I know every mile

Will be worth my while
I would go most anywhere
To feel like I belong

I am on my way
I can go the distance

I don't care how far

Somehow I'll be strong
I know every mile

Will be worth my while
I would go most anywhere
To find where I belong
 

As much as I enjoy Greek mythology, it's not exactly family-friendly material. So, I can understand why Disney toned it down so much with the 1997 Hercules. At least it's a nice way to introduce kids to the mythology, and then the kids can read the original material for themselves when they're good and ready.

By itself, I think the movie holds up pretty well. It's a very nice story about self-discovery and even the romantic stuff is nicely done.

Hercules himself most definitely inspired Terence, Reid, Mason, and Jonathan, among a few others. Meg also had a huge impact on Ann and Adela, and while we all know Hades isn't supposed to be a villain, the way James Woods portrays him is downright legendary. Those who don't care much for the movie itself will find something to say in Hades's favor, and James Woods himself likes the character so much that he's agreed to provide his voice anytime for the rest of his life.

I really like Phil, too. Danny DeVito makes him both funny and relatable, and I intend to borrow one of his lines when Terence meets a faun face to face for the first time. "What's the matter? Haven't you seen a faun before?"

Besides the interesting and realistic take on Hercules and Meg's budding romance, I also appreciate the positive message of adoption. Thank goodness Hercules falls into good hands as a baby, I'm glad his stepparents keep his original name, and he still considers them family after learning his true origins. "You're the greatest parents anyone could ever have," he tells them in total earnest. 

Several times, people told me my art style reminds them of this style. Since I like this kind of animation, I'll take it as a compliment.

And Roger Bart's singing sure doesn't hurt. The end credits version sung by Michael Bolton is great, too.

So, yeah, far from a flawless movie, but one of the good ones in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BMM 20 - Tomorrow

The sun'll come out Tomorrow Bet your bottom dollar That tomorrow there'll be sun Just thinkin' about Tomorrow Clears away the ...