Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Disney Musical May 17 - Let Me Be Good to You

Dearest friends, dear gentlemen,
Listen to my song
Life down here's been hard for you
Life has made you strong
Let me lift the mood

With my attitude
 

Hey, fellas,
The time is right
Get ready
Tonight's the night
Boys, what you're hopin' for will come true
Let me be good to you

You tough guys
You're feelin' all alone

You rough guys

The best o' you sailors and bums

All are my chums

So dream on
And drink your beer

Get cozy
Your baby's here
You won't be misunderstood

Let me be good to you

Hey, fellas,
I'll take off all my blues

Hey, fellas,

There's nothin' I won't do

Just for you

So dream on
And drink your beer

Get cozy

Your baby's here

Hey, boys, I'm talkin' to you
Your baby's gonna come through
Let me be good to you

Sometimes Disney can get pretty bold. What flies way over your head as a kid makes a lot more sense and makes your jaw drop further when you're grown.

This is, in essence, a Victorian burlesque strip tease. Anyone who's taken a class or two on Victorian England will know that some girls had to take whatever jobs they could get, especially if they were unmarried. Literally anything was better than starving in the streets.

Beyond that, maintaining a respectable appearance was absolutely essential. But the kinds of skeletons certain people kept in their closets could be quite shocking. What we read in the original Sherlock Holmes stories is a G-rated taste test of that world.

On the other hand, I kind of like this type of daring. I like how they don't go all the way but they also don't shy completely away.


What we now know as Chip 'n Dale: Rescuer Rangers was initially planned as a TV series for The Great Mouse Detective. As much as I enjoyed Chip and Dale's show then and admire it now, I think it would have been really cool to see more adventures involving Basil, Dr. Dawson, and possibly Olivia...but I guess Disney got cold feet in the end.

Too bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment

BMM 20 - Tomorrow

The sun'll come out Tomorrow Bet your bottom dollar That tomorrow there'll be sun Just thinkin' about Tomorrow Clears away the ...