Monday, May 13, 2024

BMM 13 - Pure Imagination

Hold your breath
Make a wish

Count to three

 Come with me
And you'll be
In a world of pure imagination

Take a look
And you'll see
Into your imagination 

We'll begin
With a spin
Traveling in the world of my creation

What we'll see will defy

Explanation

 If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it

Want to change the world?

There's nothing to it
 

There is no life I know
To compare with pure imagination

Living there

You'll be free

If you truly wish to be
 

If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it

Anything you want to, do it

Want to change the world?

There's nothing to it
 

There is no life I know
To compare with pure imagination
Living there
You'll be free
If you truly wish to be

From Wikipedia: "Pure Imagination" is a song from the 1971 film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It was written by British composers Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley specifically for the movie. It was sung by Gene Wilder who played the character of Willy Wonka. Bricusse has stated that the song was written over the phone in one day. 

In the week following Wilder's death in 2016, the song rose in streams and sales by more than 1000%. The song was featured in television, radio, and social media tributes to Wilder. While it was not at all used for the 2005 film adaptation Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the song was featured in the 2023 prequel film Wonka, both in its promotional materials and the film itself, sung by Timothée Chalamet as Wonka.


My own thoughts: While I've always liked both movies (though I've yet to make up my mind about the 2023 movie), I must confess I'm a bit partial to the Gene Wilder version. It's a bit warmer and more charming, it's extremely quotable, and the songs are most definitely singable.

It's kind of a tie between this song, "The Candy Man Can," and "I've Got a Golden Ticket" for my most favorite song, but I've also learned to love "Cheer Up, Charlie."

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Birthday - Recap

Hard to believe I'm already 36.  I know age is just a number, and the only real difference I feel right now is my hairstyle. I've be...