Saturday, May 18, 2024

BMM 18 - Hello Dolly

Hello, Dolly
This is Louis, Dolly
It's so nice to have you back
Where you belong
You're lookin' swell, Dolly
I can tell, Dolly
You're still glowin'
You're still crowin'
You're still goin' strong

 I feel the room swayin'
While the band's playin'
One of our old favorite songs
From way back when
So, take her wrap, fellas
Find her an empty lap, fellas
Dolly'll never go away again
 

Hello, Dolly
Well, hello, Dolly
It's so nice to have you back
Where you belong
You're lookin' swell, Dolly
I can tell, Dolly
You're still glowin'
You're still crowin'
You're still goin' strong

 I feel the room swayin'
While the band keeps playin'
One of our old favorite songs
From way back when
So, golly-gee, fellas
Have a little faith in me, fellas
Dolly'll never go away
I said she'll never go away
Dolly'll never go away again
 

From Wikipedia: "Hello, Dolly!" is the title song of the popular musical of the same name, with music and lyrics by Jerry Herman.

A recording by Louis Armstrong released in 1964 was a widely popular success, winning the Song of the Year and Male Vocal Performance awards at the 7th Annual Grammy Awards. Armstrong's rendition was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2001. 

My own thoughts: I know absolutely nothing about this musical, having never looked further into it with any real intent. I only ever heard the title and I more or less picked this song at random. 

But I did play the Louis Armstrong song just now, and I'll admit it's catchy if surprisingly short. The only other Louis Armstrong song I've listened to up till now is "What a Wonderful World," which is his true trademark. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day, Dad, Grandpa Dahl, and Grandpa Mather. And happy Father's Day to the one and only Heavenly Father.