Friday, May 3, 2024

BMM 3 - Empty Chairs At Empty Tables

There's a grief that can't be spoken
There's a pain goes on and on
Empty chairs at empty tables
Now my friends are dead and gone
 

Here they talked of revolution
Here it was they lit the flame
Here they sang about tomorrow
,

And tomorrow never came
 

From the table in the corner,
They could see a world reborn

And they rose with voices ringing
And I can hear them now!
The very words that they had sung
Became their last communion
On this lonely barricade

At dawn
 

Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me
That I live and you are gone

There's a grief that can't be spoken

There's a pain goes on and on
 

Phantom faces at the window
Phantom shadows on the floor

Empty chairs at empty tables

Where my friends will meet no more

Oh my friends, my friends,
Don't ask me what your sacrifice was for

Empty chairs at empty tables

Where my friends will sing no more
 

From Wikipedia: "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" is Marius's solo after the battle. Sitting alone at the café, knowing he's the only one to survive, other than Jean Valjean, he regrets and reminisces the loss of his friends.

The song uses similar tunes from "Prologue: Valjean Arrested" and "Valjean Forgiven." In the 1991 Parisian Revival Version, the song is titled "Seul devant ces tables vides," which means "Alone in Front of These Empty Tables."


My own thoughts: Either this song or "I Dreamed a Dream" is the first to spring to mind whenever someone mentions the musical. Many people cite it as their most favorite song of all, and I think it's safe to say it's my favorite, too. I especially love the version sung by Michael Ball, and Cormac Thompson sang a most incredible version when he was just 13 years old.


This song would fit perfectly in several of my own stories. Not only would it fit Reid and Terence, since they both deal with war and deep personal loss, but it would also fit Beowulf to a tee, especially after he first becomes a werewolf. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day, Dad, Grandpa Dahl, and Grandpa Mather. And happy Father's Day to the one and only Heavenly Father.