Sunday, May 5, 2024

BMM 5 - Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin'

There's a bright golden haze on the meadow
There's a bright golden haze on the meadow

The corn is as high as a elephant's eye

An' it looks like it's climbin' clear up to the sky

Oh, what a beautiful mornin'
Oh, what a beautiful day

I got a beautiful feelin'

Ev'rythin's goin' my way

All the cattle are standin' like statues
All the cattle are standin' like statues
They don't turn their heads as they see me ride by
But a little brown mav'rick is winkin' her eye

Oh, what a beautiful mornin'
Oh, what a beautiful day
I got a beautiful feelin'
Ev'rythin's goin' my way

All the sounds of the earth are like music
All the sounds of the earth are like music
The breeze is so busy it don't miss a tree
And a ol' weepin' willer is laughin' at me

Oh, what a beautiful mornin'
Oh, what a beautiful day

I got a beautiful feelin'

Ev'rythin's goin' my way

Oh, what a beautiful day... 

From Wikipedia: "Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin'" is the opening song from the musical Oklahoma!, which premiered on Broadway in 1943. It was written by composer Richard Rodgers and lyricist/librettist Oscar Hammerstein II. The leading male character in Oklahoma!, Curly McLain, sings the song at the beginning of the first scene of the musical.

This was the first song of Rodgers and Hammerstein's musical collaboration to be heard by theater audiences. It has become one of their most famous numbers and "quickly became one of the most popular American songs to emerge from the wartime era, gaining currency away from Broadway first on the radio and recordings, and then later on numerous television variety shows." Brooks Atkinson, reviewing the original production in The New York Times, wrote that the number changed the history of musical theater: "After a verse like that, sung to a buoyant melody, the banalities of the old musical stage became intolerable."


My own thoughts: While my family has always loved Oklahoma!, I have not. Unlike Les Mis, I get bored pretty quick and I find most of the characters, especially the main characters, rather idiotic.

Of course, I make a big exception for this song. It's one of those nice feel-good songs that really help to perk up your mood.

And it makes for an easy and fun illustration, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BMM 18 - Hello Dolly

Hello, Dolly This is Louis, Dolly It's so nice to have you back Where you belong You're lookin' swell, Dolly I can tell, Dolly Y...