Friday, May 24, 2024

BMM 24 - Climb Every Mountain

Climb every mountain
Search high and low
Follow every byway
Every path you know

Climb every mountain
Ford every stream
Follow every rainbow
Till you find your dream

A dream that will need
All the love you can give
Every day of your life

For as long as you live
 

Climb every mountain
Ford every stream
Follow every rainbow
Till you find your dream

 A dream that will need
All the love you can give

Every day of your life
For as long as you live

Climb every mountain
Ford every stream
Follow every rainbow
Till you find your dream
 

From Wikipedia: "Climb Ev'ry Mountain" is a show tune from the 1959 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical The Sound of Music. It is sung at the close of the first act by the Mother Abbess. It is themed as an inspirational piece, to encourage people to take every step toward attaining their dreams.

This song shares inspirational overtones with the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" from Carousel. They are both sung by the female mentor characters in the shows, and are used to give strength to the protagonists in the story, and both are given powerful reprises at the end of their respective shows. As Oscar Hammerstein II was writing the lyrics, it developed its own inspirational overtones along the lines of an earlier Hammerstein song, "There's a Hill Beyond a Hill." He felt that the metaphors of climbing mountains and fording streams better fitted Maria's quest for her spiritual compass.


My own thoughts: Out of all the songs from The Sound of Music, this one's by far my favorite. It gives me pleasant shivers every time. 

Call this corny but it often speaks to me when I'm feeling discouraged about my own dreams, when I'm alone with a serious lack of motivation and I wonder if I'm just wasting my time and energy.

Only one week to go now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Birthday - Recap

Hard to believe I'm already 36.  I know age is just a number, and the only real difference I feel right now is my hairstyle. I've be...