Monday, October 30, 2023

2023 Inktober 30 - Roald Dahl Trick-or-Treating

Drawn with my best friend and critic Jillian in mind. She adores Roald Dahl, so she proposed some of the famous Dahl characters in a Halloween setting.


Here, we have Matilda, James from The Giant Peach, and Charlie from The Chocolate Factory all dressed up and having a good time together. You can make up your own minds who's hiding underneath that Swiss cheese bedsheet, but yes, it's a little homage to Charlie Brown.

Since Matilda is known for her magic powers, making her a witch was perfectly logical. And Charlie's looking mighty sweet in his chocolate bar outfit, and I dunno; I just put James in a random, cute costume.

That's the great thing about some of Dahl's young protagonists. They go through a lot of hardship, but they actively choose not to let those hardships harden them. They choose to remain gentle and kind even when others are nasty to them for no good reason, and every time they end up in the dirt, they just pick themselves back up. But sometimes they're not above a little petty revenge, like in Matilda's case.

Like Roald Dahl himself said, the nastiness of a character made their just desserts that much more satisfying.

And in the end, the kids end up with what they rightfully deserve, and then some. Some of their families may be considered unusual, even unconventional, but a true family is a true family, oddities and all. I believe James and Matilda would make a cute couple when they're grown.

And now we've only got one entry to go. I think I got something real good for Halloween's official entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Birthday - Recap

Hard to believe I'm already 36.  I know age is just a number, and the only real difference I feel right now is my hairstyle. I've be...