Monday, October 2, 2023

2023 Inktober 2 - Rain of the Cimarron

It's a safe assumption that I know Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron like the back of my hand. I would know a pose from that movie anywhere, so it aggravates me when people make constant carbon copies of the horses, only changing the color and pattern. Which is fine for those who are just starting out, since I'll be the first to say horses are super tricky to draw.


But after a while, the constant recycling gets old. There's hardly any real creativity, and the artists themselves get so defensive of their work. And that new Spirit movie that's all computer-generated just doesn't cut the mustard. If there was a sequel that was actually drawn by hand, that actually told an engaging story, I'd be sold. At least they could have made better effort with Spirit Junior, like giving him a different name, and they could have been more creative with his design, more than just slapping a white blaze onto his face so you can tell the difference between him and his father.

Oh, well. I still credit this first movie for teaching me a thing or two about horse anatomy, and facial fluidity. I don't think my characters would be nearly as expressive as they are now otherwise. Terence might not have gotten so far off the ground. And I always liked Rain; I don't even need a reference for her anymore.


I never get tired of listening to the soundtrack, either. I'm listening to Rain's official theme right now. Hans Zimmer sure knows how to make music.

Only The Prince of Egypt exceeds this as my most favorite DreamWorks movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Birthday - Recap

Hard to believe I'm already 36.  I know age is just a number, and the only real difference I feel right now is my hairstyle. I've be...